This project is particularly meaningful to me. When I started at University Communications, I didn't really know much of anything about web accessibility. After attending an accessibility conference with my team, I decided to learn more about accessibility in general, and how I could help as a web developer.

This was the first big project I took on as part of that effort. It's now used on UConn sites including:

It's a fully WCAG compliant navigation menu with the following features:

  • CSS only version that supports submenus
  • Handles single items, top level items as buttons, top level items as links with submenus beneath
  • Fully semantic HTML
  • Appropriate ARIA attributes
  • A developer friendly API